The University of Manchester
The University of Manchester with academic roots dating back to 1824 is now one of the most respected worldwide. With an unprecedented £650 million investment into outstanding research and teaching facilities, the University aims to become one of the top research universities in the world by 2020. Manchester offers more subjects than any other UK institution with a massive portfolio of expertise in teaching and research. The campus includes over 8,500 students from outside the UK, and is at the heart of the city of Manchester, a vibrant and multicultural European metropolis. Below are some of the reasons why students from over 180 countries choose to study at the University of Manchester:
- In the 2012 QS World University Rankings, the University of Manchester scored a maximum 100/100 for ‘Employer Reputation’ for the quality of its graduates
- Links with employers worldwide
- One of the most targeted UK universities by 4,000 graduate recruiters
- Specialist services for international students including ‘International Student Careers week’
- Manchester has emerged amongst the UK’s top research universities in the 2008 Research Assessment Exercise which placed us third in the UK for “Research Power”
- The University is associated with 25 Nobel Laureates
- Pioneering teaching informed by the latest research
- Interdisciplinary research environments
- Multicultural, friendly campus
- One of the best student cities in the world
- World-class facilities including the third largest academic library in the UK and the biggest computing facility in Europe
- Internationally -recognised degrees with an unparalleled range of study options
- Opportunities for industrial experience and study
- Aerospace, Chemical, Civil, Electrical and Electronic, Mechanical and Petroleum Engineering
- Earth, Atmospheric and Environmental Science
- Physics, Chemistry and Maths (including Actuarial Science)
- Management and management specialisms such as Accounting, Finance, Human Resource Management, International Business and Marketing
- Social Sciences
- Life Sciences including Biology, Biomedical Sciences, Genetics, Biochemistry, etc.
The University of Manchester is large, yet compact enough to give you the best of both worlds: a city life and a campus community. You can be assured of an exciting and fulfilling experience at the University whilst helping you to further your studies.
The University campus spans a large area close to the city centre. It is dominated by grand buildings but also has quiet corners, landscaped gardens, cafes and common rooms where you can relax and spend time with friends. The University has places of worship for the majority of faiths. The University has the largest student union in the UK and inside the Union building you will find cafes, shops and entertainment venues, along with information on 250 different student societies.
These cover a huge range of interests and hobbies and represent a variety of faiths, nationalities and lifestyles. The Union also has an elected International Students’ Officer who represents the views of overseas students on campus.
Students at Manchester can also access the services of the International Society, an independent organisation that provides a warm and friendly welcome to Manchester. The Society organises trips around the UK, activities (including language classes) and social events throughout the year.
And for those who enjoy sports, Manchester provides plenty of opportunities for you to get involved, with three main sport centres on campus, all with excellent fitness suites as well as a range of indoor and outdoor facilities.
At Manchester, we do everything we can to help new student settle in, and to provide a home from home. Living in university-owned accommodation gives you and your family back home security and peace of mind so The University of Manchester guarantees international students (coming to the University alone) a place in one of our halls for the duration of their course. With more than 9,000 rooms for students in 29 different halls of residence, the University owns more accommodation than any other university in the country, offering an unparalleled choice. Almost all of the accommodation is within 2 miles of campus.
There are a broad range of part-time job opportunities for students both on the University campus and beyond, in the wider Manchester community. Our award-winning Careers Service can assist you in making the most of these opportunities with initiatives such as the Part-time Jobs Fair and International Talent (a scheme for students with language skills or international work experience).
Longer term, whether our graduates are looking for a career in business, academia, industry, public service or simply want to keep as many options open as possible Manchester provides:
- International E-mentoring programmes
- Online networks of international Alumni including the Indian Graduate network
- Unrivalled access to meeting hundreds of employers on campus and through our website
- Personal support from careers professionals
- Training and development opportunities during your degree to enable you to stand out to employers.
- Online Database of international job vacancies to help you stay connected to your local job market.
Select Study Destination
Quality Advice for Quality Education since 1996
Association of Australian Education Representatives in India